Sunday, June 24, 2012

The first fruits.

We came back from Portland to ripening tomatoes.  We knew that would start happening while we were gone.  Look a that monster at the top!  Probably the biggest tomato I've ever pulled out of the garden - it weighed in at a pound and a half!  It is either a Brandywine or an old heirloom called Stump of the World - I think it's the latter.  The second picture is a Cherokee Purple tomato, which always keeps its sexy green shoulders, even when it's ripe.  So pretty.  Of course our first meal w/tomatoes from the garden:  pizza w/ sungold cherry tomatoes, cherokee purples, our basil, homemade 30-minute mozzarella from local milk (Johnson's milk!), trader joes crust, olive oil & balsamic vin.   Trader Joes's frozen pizza dough does come in handy.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    My name is Jacob S. and I am a student at the University of Georgia here in Athens.

    I am very interested in asking a few questions about your farming project!

    May I email you a few questions?
    Would you mind if I send you an email with some of my questions?

    Thank you and keep up the great work,

    Jacob S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob,
    I wouldn't mind at all. Shoot me an email at katyvanwyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete